Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ghastly Quilt Top

Ghastly Taffy quilt top is completed. As with most things, this took a little longer to piece together than I thought it would, but still not bad. I thought I might have this pieced by lunch, but it was a couple hours (and distractions) later.

Ghastly Taffy

A sideways view, to avoid shadows across.

Ghastly Taffy

Ghastly Taffy

And close-up!

I feel like a bit of a jerk now that I've realized that the little girl in the pink tutu holding the hammer is actually woefully underrepresented in this quilt in the main blocks. It's strange how I didn't notice that before when I was (fussy) cutting the focal star centers.

I'm happy with how this turned out. Close up it's a little harder to make out the pattern quite as well, being so monochromatic as it is. But I was relieved to see that from a distance it's a lot easier to see. While I'm not always a huge fan of the Halloween favorite: orange, I can see how using a really vibrant orange with the Ghastlies in this pattern would likely make it pop more. But I specifically wanted mostly black/white/grey.

Julie's (Jaybird Quilts) pattern is really good. I can't say enough about the way that these patterns are written. It's very clear and I like the small graphs that tell you how many strips of Y-height x width-of-fabric you'll (most likely) need to cut the pieces, and how many pieces/blocks you require for each quilt size. It makes it so much easier to keep track. I did use less fabric/strips than stated because I'm a fairly frugal cutter, apparently. Leftovers though will end up in the pieced back, which I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with just yet. Maybe a wonky log cabin, to illustrate the Ghastly Night fabric I got specifically for the back.

Yay, accomplishment, yay!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I LOVE it!!! That pattern is perfect to showcase the large-ess of the Ghastlies. Great job with the photos too -- monotone is really hard to photograph!