Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ziggety Terrain Mug Rug

Being the last week of summer camp for Dashiell, and not knowing whether or not Shannon will be his aide for the next school year, I wanted to make her something special. Initially I'd considered a mini quilt, but not knowing whether or not she'd have room for one or want one, I decided to make something more utilitarian: a mug rug {or snack mat}.

The pattern I went with was the Ziggety mug rug {free tutorial!} by John Adams from the Sew, Mama, Sew blog, featured here.

Scraps and Fabrics

After having considered 2 of the matching Terrain solids, Cactus and Iris, I ended up going with Kona Ash for the binding. The pale grey really frames off the bright colors in Terrain well. The other 2 were very overpowering without an additional border or so, and being a mug rug that's already on the larger side, I didn't want to add even more, or cut down the patterned fabric much.

Ziggety Mug Rug in Terrain

VoilĂ ! Simple quilting added.

Back

I used Julie Herman/Jaybird Quilts' tutorial for perfect binding to finish the binding. The diagonal seam removes so much bulk, it's awesome!

Hopefully Shannon will like her mug rug! (And the dark chocolate covered caramels I got her from Trader Joe's mmm!)

2 comments:

  1. That's just super cute! I've been thinking about snagging myself some terrain. I do love it, but my stash is outta control, so I'm trying to behave myself. It's gonna happen though, I can feel it. And btw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the story of your blog name up there in the upper right hand corner. Very, very clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mug rug! I just got some Terrain & plan on making a Swoon quilt - can't wait to get working on it!

    ReplyDelete