Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIP Wednesday #5

Remember this quilt top?

Kitchen Window Quilt

Well, yesterday I finally got around to basting it to the pieced back I made a few weeks ago. The top ended up sitting in a box for a while, and then it was hard to actually be left alone by the cats long enough to actually put it together. On the weekend Jeff and I rearranged the furniture in our bedroom, and suddenly we have a wealth of floor space! Enough to put down a quilt exactly that size. And it's much easier to lock the cats out of one room, than to try and catch them and sequester them in a room. Now I just need to pick out a matching thread to quilt it with.

With some of my Christmas gift money, I picked up the book Modern Blocks a few weeks back, in part because I really wanted the pattern for Faith's Blocked In block, the pattern she used in her Echino Squared quilt. I decided to use the Echo I bought with some more of the Christmas gift money. I redid the math so that the blocks are actually the size in Faith's Echino Squared quilt, being 18" for each 4-quadrant block, as opposed to 12.5". I wanted fewer larger blocks rather than more smaller ones. A lot of the prints in Echo are larger scale, and I felt it would work better.

Blocked In Echoes WIP
My "design floor"

My only real disappointment is having bought what I thought was Kona Snow, and realizing after I'd pieced all the components that while that might have been what I ordered, it wasn't what I received in the mail, and it didn't match my Kona color card either. Doh! Of course I didn't think to check the color when it arrived, assuming it was the right one. It did strike me as being a bit whiter than I thought it was supposed to be as I was cutting it, but I kept going anyway. It's not egregious, and I'm not about to take it all apart. However, given that I bought enough Snow for 2 more projects besides this one, it does throw a spanner in the works with at least one of those projects, namely the one in which I was going to use some Valori Wells' Wrenly, and the background on the birds is definitely not white-white. With the second project, I don't think it'll make a huge difference, so I won't sweat it there. I'm a bit disappointed that I'll have to buy more fabric that I didn't think I needed, just to do my Wrenly version of Jaybird Quilts' Chopsticks. At least white's a solid that will get used quickly enough, but I already had about 6 yards of that lying around as it was, and really didn't need another ~7.