Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Twisting

It's been a little quiet, in no small part due to spending part of the (blisteringly hot) weekend camping. The camping was great fun, but I admit that I did also enjoy being able to climb back behind my sewing machine and get some sewing done.

Last week I received some of the solid white charm squares and a few other solids that I'd ordered to use with the Terrain charm packs. I also picked up a charm pack of Kaffe Fassett fabrics, his Fall 2010 collection, which was half off at the Fat Quarter Shop. I wanted to try out my new Lil' Twister template, and also this would be a good mini quilt for a birthday gift. The person I'm making this for is really a person who suits Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Bright, bold and fearless colors and patterns, riotous. In a stroke of luck, the solids I used in my Autumn Kitchen Window quilt went well with the KF squares, so I was able to use up quite a few leftovers, which was nice.

Making one of these is really simple. First you sew the charm squares together with a border.

Kaffe Fassett Charm Squares

Pre-Twist

Then you place the template on the junctions between each square, and cut around it. Then you sew them all back together again.

Lil' Twister

You end up with quite a bit of leftovers after cutting, ~2.5" squares of each fabric used. If I'd cut a little more carefully, they might have been 2.5" usable squares, but I ended up with 2" squares. I used most of those to piece together the back.

I forgot to take pictures of the process between having a quilt of squares, and having twister pinwheels, so I'll actually document that part when I make another one, which will be shortly. I want to make another, a smidgen smaller though, for my son's aide Shannon (as mentioned in the previous post).

Tomorrow I'll hopefully have finished quilting this quilt (my first time machine quilting anything, eep!) and I'll hopefully have it bound too (first time binding!). So far I'm happy with the process and how it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment